Concepts of Athletic Training
Access a Copy
Concepts of Athletic Training, Fourth Edition represents over a decade of evolution and revision of the previous editions in an effort to better serve students considering a career in athletic training, or for those going on to careers as K-12 physical educators or coaches. This outstanding introductory text presents key concepts pertaining to the field of athletic training in a comprehensive, logically sequential manner that will assist future professionals in making the correct decisions when confronted with an activity-related injury or illness in their scope of practice.
New Topics and Features
- Updated materials on the incidence of sports injuries in the pediatric age group, and on the etiology of overuse injuries. (Chapter 1)
- Inclusion of recommendations regarding the athletic health care team, as well as new material from the ACSM's Team Physician Consensus Statement. (Chapter 2)
- An introduction to the recently passed federal HIPAA regulations as they relate to sports injuries, as well as updated information on state regulation of athletic training. (Chapter 3)
- Recent research on the psychological impact of sports injuries on adolescents, as well as updated material on eating disorders among athletes. (Chapter 5)
- New information on supplements, since many athletes are turning to ergogenic aids in an effort to improve their performance. (Chapter 6)
- Extensive material on the development and implementation of the "Emergency Plan." (Chapter 7)
- Updated information on the epidemiology of head injury along with a new evidence-based classification system for cerebral concussion. (Chapter 9)
- Updated with the latest Emergency Care and Safety Institute CPR and Bloodborne Pathogens Guidelines. (Appendix 1, 2)
- New information on exertional heat illnesses (Chapter 18), and on NATA's position statement on exertional heat illnesses. (Appendix 3)
Jones and Bartlett
Pfeiffer, Ronald P. and Mangus, Brent C., "Concepts of Athletic Training" (2005). Faculty Authored Books. 141.