Criminology: The Essentials
Access a Copy
Criminology: The Essentials, Third Edition, introduces students to major theoretical perspectives and topics in a concise, easy-to-read format. This straightforward overview of the main subject areas in criminology thoroughly covers the most up-to-date advances in theory and research. In the new full-color Third Edition, special features have been added to help readers think critically about concepts in criminology.
New to this Edition
- New "Research Snippets" and "Critical Thinking" exercises encourage students to take a deeper look at the concepts presented adn develop a meaningful understanding of the issues.
- New co-author Cody Jorgensen brings expertise in forensic science, biosocial criminology, and policing.
- New sections about recent research, topics, and events such as green criminology, convict criminology, and ISIL familiarize students with the latest advances in criminology.
- "Theory in Action" boxes have been updated to reflect current and interesting real-life cases to help students make connections between theory and modern practice (such as deterrence theory and the death penalty).
- Statistical information gathered from official sources (e.g., UCR, NCVS, NIBRS) has been updated to demonstrate the most recent trends in criminology.
The free open-access Student Study site at study.sagepub.com/walsh3e features eFlashcards, web quizzes, video resources, SAGE journal articles, and more.
Instructors, sign in at study.sagepub.com/walsh3e for additional resources!
SAGE Publications, Inc.
Walsh, Anthony and Jorgensen, Cody, "Criminology: The Essentials" (2018). Faculty Authored Books. 471.